Wednesday, June 23, 2010

LAFF FMkers Interview: Hannah Sullivan, Future FMker Showcase

(note: I wanted to get this out before the other reviews because on the off chance someone is reading this, they might still get a chance to watch the final screening on Saturday June 26th @ 3:00pm of Hannah Sullivan’s Love…Forever & Always)

My first interview on this blog and it’s a good one. No, this is not the director of any of the feature films I wanted to interview but (probably) one of the youngest filmmaker’s with a film here at the festival.

Before I go on, I must make a disclaimer. This wasn’t a great interview. It was my first one and I was kind of nervous. I didn’t stick with the questions I had written beforehand or they turned out to be not so good questions. I think if I had another go around I would’ve asked different questions. So this is my bad. If you’re (or your family is) reading this Hannah, I apologize for my poor journalistic skills. I’m a rookie.

That being said, let me introduce to you Hannah Sullivan. She hails from Pacific Coast HS in Tustin, CA and just finished her freshman year there. This film, called Love…Forever & Always, was a product of her own undertaking, and was filmed at her home. Her family also played a role in the production of the film, with her brother and future DP, Spencer Sullivan, as, well, the DP. In addition to directing the film, Hannah also edited it and was one of the two actresses in the film (with her cousin Alison Dubbert being the other), an impressive feat, dare I say.

Unfortunately, I won’t do the synopsis justice here as my notes are incomplete at best, but at 4 minutes, it just needs to be watched and not described. I will note that this is a family-inspired (surprise!) story, with the relationship between her mother and her mother’s sister as the central focus.

I asked her what was one of the things she learned making this (her first) film. She said that she learned about the interesting dynamic of directing and acting in the same film and how they are so much “separate worlds,” and it is something she will bring into her next film. (She did a great job plugging “the next film.” Very well played.) She seems bright and positive and I sense great things for this young filmmaker for years to come.

Also unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to watch this film and will not be able to, unless she wants to send me a screener. I am definitely curious about it as it has gotten into a number of film festivals worldwide, which is quite the achievement. For those of you who are not at the LAFF or didn’t have the chance to catch this film (like me), Love… will also being playing at the Santa Cruz Film Festival, Method Fest, and Sydney Youth Film Festival.

Once again, Love… will be playing one last time at the 2010 LAFF at the downtown Regal Cinemas this Saturday June 26th at 3pm in the LAFF Future Filmmaker Showcase, High School Program 1. Tickets are $5 at the door and I’m sure there will be plenty of tickets left. Come out and support future filmmakers!

Also once again, I apologize to Hannah and co. that my interview here is not as thorough as it could’ve been. I will make sure to improve next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment